Saving money can be easy with the proper motivation and effort. There are so many simple ways to put a little extra money aside in your savings account by taking various spending precautions. Lindsey Stanberry, author of REFINERY29’S MONEY DIARIES, advises on getting your financial life in order and how to save money.
TIME: Varies depending on the savings trick you choose
TOOLS: Again, depends on the savings trick you use
I’m not going to let you make any excuses that you can’t save at least $2,000 for a bare-bones emergency fund. There are hundreds of ways to save money. Some of them are easy but annoying: Make coffee at home! Some of them are hard to do but more fruitful: Get a raise, but don’t spend the extra income. Here are twenty ways you can save without too much heavy lifting to get you to $2,000 in savings faster.
- Sell your unwanted gift cards.
- Set up a system with your friends and/or family to share streaming service log-ins.
- Go to matinee movies only.
- Pack your lunch.
- Bring a reusable water bottle with you everywhere.
- Uninstall any car-sharing apps on your phone.
- Sign up for your FSA (and use it!).
- Open a no-fee checking account.
- Open a high-interest savings account.
- Sell your stuff (tech, clothes, etc.).
- Don’t drink for a week (or more!).
- Take your spare change to the bank and deposit it into your savings account.
- Sign up to get your regular prescriptions through your insurance company’s mail-order service.
- Hang up your work clothes in order to save on dry cleaning.
- Download an app that will help you find cheaper gas.
- Ask for free samples when you shop for beauty products.
- Convince your employer to stock free pads and tampons.
- Make dinner every night for a week (or longer).
- Buy generic.
- Renegotiate your phone or cable bill.
Find out more easy ways to save money by picking up a copy of MONEY DIARIES by Lindsey Stanberry.
Also from Tips on Life & Love: Rewrite Your Money Story
Excerpted from Refinery29’s Money Diaries by Lindsey Stanberry. Copyright © 2018 by Refinery29. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.