Many of us dream of the day when we can treat every day like it’s the weekend. How do you prepare for this big step? One option is to think outside of your 9-5 for other ways to increase your income to prepare for retirement (or better yet, early retirement). Deacon Hayes, author of YOU CAN RETIRE EARLY, shares tips on how to add income to your household so you can retire without stressing about finances.
1. Car washing/detailing: People pay good money for on-site car washing and detailing services. Just coordinate a time with clients when they’ll be home, bring your cleaning supplies, and use their water. Advertise by handing out business cards or flyers at local residences and businesses.
2. Errand running: Many families today have two working parents who spend many hours a day working or carting kids around. They’ll pay well for someone to grocery shop or run other errands for them.
3. Freelance writing: If you have a talent for writing, there are many companies willing to pay well for your services. Check online sites such as Upwork for writing opportunities.
4. House cleaning: If cleaning is your thing, you can start a house or office cleaning business. The services you offer can range from simple to extensive, depending on what you want to do. You can offer basic dusting, vacuuming, and cleaning services, or you can offer more extensive services such as carpet cleaning, drapery cleaning, window cleaning, etc. Market to local residents, businesses, and real estate rental companies.
5. Pet or child sitting: If you enjoy children or animals, you can start a babysitting business, a pet sitting business, a dog walking business, a yard cleanup business for pet owners, or a dog training business.
6. Selling homemade items: If you have a talent for knitting, sewing, woodworking, clothing design, or any other type of similar skill, you can create items to sell on sites such as Etsy or eBay.
7. Tutoring: If you work well with children or college students and are smart in certain subjects such as math, science, or English, you can start a tutoring service. Get a step up on local tutoring centers by offering to come to the client’s home and charging a lower price than local tutoring centers.
8. Writing ebooks: Authors today write and sell ebooks on any number of subjects and sell them online with very little cash output. There are many, many resources online that will teach you how to write, publish, and sell your own ebook.
9. Landscaping: If you like lawn work and working outdoors, consider starting a landscaping business. Your business can offer basic services such as mowing lawns and shoveling snow, or you can offer more comprehensive services such as design and landscape for yards.
10. Consulting: Consulting businesses can be started for a number of different purposes. If you’re good at search engine optimization, you can start an SEO consulting company. If you’re good at sales, consult about that. People also hire consultants for things such as organization, life coaching, career coaching, and a number of other reasons.
We’ve rounded up 10 books that are a must-read for those looking to retire early.