This simple, foolproof sauce adds a mellow sweetness and a smoky, spicy punch to everything from burgers to soup. From Simple Food, Big Flavor by Aarón Sánchez.
Makes 1 cup
1 cup canola oil
12 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Grated zest of 1 lime
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Pour the oil into a heavy ovenproof medium saucepan and add the garlic. Cover the pot with foil, put it in the oven, and cook until the garlic turns a nutty brown and is really soft (think cream cheese), about 45 minutes.
3. Remove the pot from the oven and let the garlic and oil cool to room temperature.
4. Put the garlic and the now garlic-infused oil in a food processor or blender. Add the chipotles and sauce, cilantro, lime zest, and salt and puree until the mixture is very smooth.
5. Store in the fridge in a tightly covered container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to a month.