When you think of the word “detox,” you likely think of diets that aim to build your immune system and take out all of the toxins in your body. An emotional detox is the cleansing of the mind and heart. This detox is important for those that put other first.
Reclaim your mind with help from Sherianna Boyle, author of EMOTIONAL DETOX and now the new book EMOTIONAL DETOX FOR ANXIETY.
If you find yourself trying to fix everyone else’s problems, feeling guilty for saying no, or becoming less engaged with the people around you, then you will receive help from a detox. If you take more time for others than you do for yourself or have experienced trauma, a detox is in order. If you are a thinker, dwell on life’s problems, or are finding it hard to be in the present moment, an emotional detox is something to consider.
Here are some of the signs to look for:
- Being easily distracted
- Worrying about or being fearful of the future
- Losing or gaining weight
- Binge eating or eating too little
- Financial insecurity
- Relationship problems
- Lying to yourself or others
- Avoiding certain people or places
- Spending too much time alone
- Ignoring your gut feelings
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Considering or having an affair
- Drinking or doing drugs to escape the pressures in life
- Focusing (or being stuck) on the past more than the present
- Trouble speaking up for yourself
- Self-doubt or second-guessing your choices
- Feeling stuck or out of balance
- Being easily swayed by the opinions of others
- Comparing yourself to others or not feeling “good enough”
- Feeling like you work hard but nothing changes
There are also some physical symptoms, such as:
- Trouble sleeping
- Chronic tension
- Illness or pain
- Depression and anxiety
Other reasons to detox include:
- Looking to deepen your relationship with yourself and others
- Wanting to forgive, move on, or let go but being unsure how to do so
- Feeling stuck in the past
- Feeling lonely, too old, or unsure of your purpose
- Interested in learning how to be more present and mindful
If some of these symptoms sound familiar, watch the video below for 5 steps to get you started on an emotional cleanse:
Ready to feel better? Discover the steps to releasing anxiety and toxicity to that you can energize joy, pick up a copy of EMOTIONAL DETOX FOR ANXIETY and EMOTIONAL DETOX by Sherianna Boyle.
Plus, to learn more about author Sherianna Boyle’s CLEANSE Yoga program, visit her website at sheriannaboyle.com/cleanselife.
Excerpted from Emotional Detox by Sherianna Boyle. Copyright © 2018 bySherianna Boyle. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.