Most of us need an extra large cup of coffee or tea to start our day. Except, maybe the secret to waking up isn’t caffeine after all. Meditation is proven to boost confidence, awareness, and positive vibes. Lama Tsultrim Allione, author of WISDOM RISING, shares why you should take 15 minutes in the morning to practice Buddha Family Meditation with your loved ones.
Because each of the dakinis is connected to an element, it is very helpful to work directly with that specific element as you explore each dakini. Since the Buddha Dakini is connected to the element of space, this is a meditation practice called “integration with space or sky,” namkha arte in Tibetan. It is one of my favorite practices, because it is so relaxing and opens me deeply into a feeling of nonduality. And it provides a wonderful foundation for an experiential understanding of the wisdom of all-encompassing space.
- Before beginning this meditation, decide how long you are going to practice. I recommend from fifteen minutes to one hour.
- Lie on your back outside on a beach or in a field, on a rooftop, or in any open area with a fairly unobstructed view of the sky. Get comfortable—put a pillow under your head if you want to. If you are unable to be outside, find a place inside near a window so you have a view of the sky; but ideally it’s done outside. This can also be done at night, or sitting up if you have a big sky view.
- After the Nine Relaxation Breaths, allow your breath to settle, and then with open eyes simply rest your mind on the sky. Let your mind open, so that there is no journey between you and the sky, there is no separation. If you get distracted, relax back into the spaciousness of the sky.
- Try to avoid fixating on clouds or trees or even the sky itself. If you notice you are focusing or straining your eyes, relax your eyes and let them go out of focus. It can be helpful to think about relaxing
the muscles behind your eyes.
- When you are finished, sit up, and dedicate the positive energy that has been generated to benefit all beings.
After you close the meditation, notice how you feel. Keep the awareness of that feeling as you go about your day. Do integration with space meditation as frequently as possible; it will bring palpable experiences of spacious calmness.
Are you new to the practice of meditation? Our editor rounded up the best tips for beginners.