A refreshing cocktail recipe with a side of personal empowerment, we’ll take it! Helen Rothberg, author of THE PERFECT MIX, shares her professional advice and The Grand Street recipe.
The Grand Street
3 ounces vodka
Splash of water
2 tablespoons Italian lemon ice
4 ripe blueberries
Blend the ingredients. Add a twist of risk and a dash of action. Pour over ice.
Taking action in the face of fear or uncertainty can create anxiety. It can require some shape-shifting: taking on new characteristics to step into something less familiar. Becoming an uptown bartender, or an intelligence analyst when you are a cereal scientist, is shape-shifting. For me, taking action has its roots in Grand Street. Here are the ingredients for doing more and saying less:
- Vodka: a chameleon base, it can become whatever you want it to.
- Splash of water: it will create smoothness without changing character.
- Blueberries: powerful antioxidants, they build your immune system and are anti-inflammatory, so they keep things healthy and calm.
- Italian lemon ice: it helps to keep things cool, is refreshing, and can help relieve a hangover if things don’t go well. It’s also a nod to my old, bold neighborhood.
- Twist of risk: because if you don’t leap you don’t know what else is possible.
- Dash of action: will demonstrate what is possible.
Here’s to throwing elbows!
Once you take action, here’s how to get that raise.