Find your calling and work toward it with help from Skinnygirl brand founder and reality TV star Bethenny Frankel, author of A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life.
1. Break the chain. Your past happened, and it’s part of you, but you don’t have to carry forward the bad habits, bad feelings, and ideas about who you are from that part of your life. Break the chain and celebrate coming into your own as an adult who is in control of your own life. What happens from here on out is entirely up to you.
2. Find your truth. Only you can know who you want to be, what you want out of life, and what the right path for you could be. Investigate yourself, your true desires, what feels right to you. Listen to your gut and celebrate who you really are, apart from anyone else’s expectations. Knowing your truth will make every decision in your life easier.
3. Act on it. You make things happen. Don’t wait for someone else to make them happen for you. Act on your beliefs and instincts and the things you know about yourself. Don’t just sit there — do something. Forward is always the right direction, even if you aren’t sure where you are going, as long as you act with integrity from a place of yes.
See Bethenny’s behind-the-scenes thank you to her fans:
4. Everything’s your business. You never know what could become your next big break. Do everything to the best of your ability, give every job your all, and treat everything like it’s your business. Respect others, play fair, do what feels right, and always keep both eyes open for what might be your next great path. That way, you won’t miss an opportunity.
5. All roads lead to Rome. You won’t always know what’s over the horizon, but you will get somewhere good if you stay focused on what you want. Even when something bad happens, you’re likely to see why it happened later. Everything you do leads to something else, and in the end, if you stay on your path, you’ll get to the place you wanted to be — even if it isn’t what you expected. It’s probably going to be even better.
6. Go for yours. You have to get what you want before you can have the inner resources to give to others. Clarify your goals and then go for them. It has to be about you first. It’s not selfish. It’s common sense. It’s the only way to be whole.
7. Separate from the pack. To find your calling or succeed in the path you’ve chosen, sometimes you have to step out of the crowd and remember who you are. You’ll distinguish yourself, and you’ll have a much better view of where you are going. When the way gets crowded or obscured, stand up, step forward, and move away from the masses.
8. Own it. Keep your word, act on your beliefs, and whether you regret something or not, always own up to it. You did it. Admit it, even when it’s hard. It’s the only way to maintain and build your integrity, not to mention your good reputation. You’ll never have to regret that you didn’t cop to the truth, and owning it always turns out for the better in the long run.
9. Come together. When all is said and done, life is about connection. Come together with others. They may be work colleagues or family or the partner you’ve chosen to share your life. No matter who they are, get yourself right first and then you’ll be able to come together to do something even greater together.
10. Celebrate! Life is precious. Love is precious. Celebrate the many good things you have instead of focusing on the worries, and you’ll find success, inner calm, and happiness at last.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Bethenny Frankel, author of A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life (Copyright © 2011 by BB Endeavors, LLC), a graduate of The Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts in New York City, is the star of her own Bravo show, the second season of which airs in 2011. Her recipes and health tips can be read monthly in Health and her trademark Skinnygirl Margarita is available in stores nationwide. She lives in New York City with her husband Jason, daughter Bryn, and dog, Cookie.