Mother’s Day is coming up soon and what’s a better gift than to whip up some delicious baked goods? Marly McMillen Beelman, author of THE EVERYTHING VEGAN MEAL PREP COOKBOOK, shares her Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe.
These vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are like mini brownies because of their crispy outer crust and gooey chocolatey center. Made from a simple list of ingredients, you’ll love making these cookies almost as much as everyone will love eating them.
Ingredients (makes 32 cookies):
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 11⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 1 cup chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave 30 seconds. Place a lid over bowl and let sit 1 minute until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer to beat together vegan butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and almond milk and mix until combined. Pour cooled melted chocolate into mixture. Beat until chocolate is incorporated.
- In a separate large bowl combine flour, ground flaxseed, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add remaining chocolate chips and walnuts to flour mixture and stir before adding to chocolate butter mixture. Stir until combined.
- Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto two ungreased baking sheets and bake 10 minutes. Then remove from oven and let sit on baking sheets 1 minute before transferring to wire racks to cool about 10 minutes.
- Store in a large sealed container at room temperature or in refrigerator up to 7 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
Making Gorgeous Homemade Cookies: Make your homemade cookies look as good as they taste with this simple tip: Always reserve a little of one or two of the ingredients, like chocolate chips, to distribute across the top of the cookie dough balls before baking. This way, the finished cookie will be dotted with melty chocolate chips (or raisins, etc.).
PER SERVING (1 cookie): Calories: 180 | Fat: 8.8 g | Protein: 1.8 g | Sodium: 103 mg | Fiber: 2.7 g | Carbohydrates: 23.4 g | Sugar: 14.1 g
Find some more great recipes in THE EVERYTHING VEGAN MEAL PREP COOKBOOK by Marly McMillen Beelman
For more vegan friendly recipes…
For more on Tips on Life & Love: Holy Guacamole: A Keto-Friendly Guac Recipe
Excerpted from The Everything Vegan Meal Prep Cookbook by Marly McMillen Beelman. Copyright © 2019 by author. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Photo by Calum Lewis on Unsplash.