This healthy make-ahead recipe will give you a great head start on your daily meals. From The Stash Plan.
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1/4 cup wild rice
3 tablespoons plain Greek organic yogurt
3 cups water
1/2 cup broth (chicken or beef)
1 teaspoon salt
4 different-colored bell peppers
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. The night before, place rice in a glass bowl. Add yogurt and 1½ cups of water. Mix and leave on the counter overnight. (This ferments the rice so it’s easier to digest.)
2. The next day, rinse the rice in a strainer until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a 4-quart saucepan. Add broth, 2 cups water, and salt. Cook on high until the rice begins to boil, then reduce flame to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir, then allow to cool.
3. Preheat over to 350°F. Cut off tops of peppers and core them. Wash out seeds. Mince carrot, onion, and garlic.
4. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan, then add carrot, onion, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add brown rice, then cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Stuff rice mixture evenly into peppers. Place peppers on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool, then transfer to a glass container.