Delicious and full of nutritious flaxseed, these fritters are a great party appetizer. From The New Atkins Made Easy.
These cheesy, herb-filled fritters would also work well topped with smoked salmon as part of a brunch menu.
Makes: 6 (2-fritter) servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
4 large eggs, separated
2 medium zucchini, trimmed and grated
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
¼ cup coconut-flax flour blend
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
3 teaspoons canola or virgin olive oil
1. Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
2. Place the egg yolks, zucchini, Parmesan, mozzarella, parsley, basil, coconut-flax flour blend, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt in another large bowl. Stir well until the zucchini is coated with flour. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in egg whites until just combined. There will be streaks of egg white.
3. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Warm the skillet over medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon oil. Using a ¼-cup measure, pour out 4 fritters. Cook 2–3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat twice, using 1 teaspoon of oil and four ¼ measures of batter each time.
4. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered in aluminum foil, and reheat when ready to serve.
Per Serving: Net Carbs: 3 grams; Total Carbs: 5 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Protein: 11 grams;
Fat: 11 grams; Calories: 159; Foundation Vegetables Net Carbs: 2 grams
• Use ¼ cup ground flaxseed instead of the coconut-flax flour blend.