Hungry mouths to feed and no time to cook? Try this faster-than-casserole dish from The New Atkins Made Easy.
If your family loves creamy casseroles but doesn’t want to wait 45 minutes, this is your dish. Cheesy and rich, but quick and easy to make, this is comfort food at its best! To get dinner on the table faster, do the prep work the night before or earlier in the day—cut up the chicken, beans, mushrooms, and onions, and grate the cheese. Then store in sealed containers in the fridge until you’re ready to prepare.
Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
24 ounces raw chicken breast, cut into 2-inch chunks
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 8-ounce package mushrooms (button or cremini), thinly sliced
½ small red onion, minced
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut-flax flour blend
½ cup soy milk or chicken broth
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place chicken chunks on a plate, sprinkle with paprika and garlic powder, and set aside.
2. Warm a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, green beans, mushrooms, and onion. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens.
3. Add the chicken and the coconut-flax flour blend and cook 1 minute more, stirring to distribute the flour blend. Add the soy milk or chicken broth and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1–2 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Sprinkle the cheese over top of the chicken, season with pepper, and cover. Turn the heat off and leave on the burner for 1–2 minutes, until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: Net Carbs: 6 grams; Total Carbs: 8 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Protein: 46 grams;
Fat: 21 grams; Calories: 405; Foundation Vegetables Net Carbs: 4 grams
• In place of the coconut-flax flour blend, use ¼ cup finely ground flaxseed.
• Swap out green beans for broccoli florets.
• Top with ¼ cup chopped fresh basil.
• Phase 4: Serve over Atkins Cuisine Penne Pasta.