Great for game-day, this salad will fill you up without the carbs. From The New Atkins Made Easy.
No need to worry about the carbs in bar food when you make it at home. These boneless, unbreaded chicken “fingers” are drenched in a delectable buffalo sauce that rivals what’s served at the local watering hole. The minute amount of coconut flour has minimal carb impact, and the generous portion of chicken fingers turns an appetizer into a main dish.
Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 cup beef or chicken broth
2 tablespoons Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon butter
6 cups baby spinach
½ cup diced roasted red pepper
1 ½ pounds chicken tenders
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon mild chili powder (optional)
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
1. Prepare the buffalo sauce: In a small saucepan, stir together the broth, hot sauce, tomato paste, and coconut flour. Bring to a slow simmer and cook 5–6 minutes, until reduced to about 1 cup. Whisk in butter.
2. Toss the spinach and roasted red pepper in a large bowl. Divide the salad among 4 plates.
3. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder and chili powder, if using.
4. Warm the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and cook 4–5 minutes, turning once, until both sides are browned. Reduce heat to low and carefully add the buffalo sauce. Transfer 6 tenders to each plate and serve immediately.
Per Serving: Net Carbs: 5 grams; Total Carbs: 8 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Protein: 41 grams;
Fat: 8 grams; Calories: 252; Foundation Vegetables Net Carbs: 4 grams
• Substitute fingers of turkey breast for chicken.
• Replace baby spinach with romaine or thinly sliced kale (stems and tough ribs removed).
• If you like your chicken “atomic” hot, add ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper.