Waking up will feel great with this simple dish from The New Atkins Made Easy.
Ideal for the beginner cook, this dish can be made ahead and reheated. If you’re not used to cooking with greens such as kale, this rich, cheesy recipe is a great way to start. You can also serve at lunch or dinner.
Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
2 Italian sausage links, chopped
½ cup chopped red onion
1 8-ounce package button or cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced packed kale (stems and ribs removed)
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, sausage, and onion. Cook 3–4 minutes, breaking up the sausage with the back of a wooden spoon as it browns. Add the mushrooms and cook 1 minute more, until they soften. Add the kale and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, cheese, and baking powder. Add the sausage mixture and transfer to an 8-inch-square baking dish lined with aluminum foil.
3. Bake uncovered 20–25 minutes, until the eggs puff up and the casserole is firm in the center. Cool 5 minutes, then slice into 4 even wedges. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Per Serving: Net Carbs: 7 grams; Total Carbs: 6 grams; Fiber: 1 gram; Protein: 26 grams;
Fat: 32 grams; Calories: 414; Foundation Vegetables Net Carbs: 5 grams
• Use crumbled bacon, cubed ham, cooked turkey cubes, or other leftovers in place of sausage.
• Substitute spinach or arugula for kale.