On a weeknight when you just don’t have the energy to make a big dinner that’ll lead to a sink full of dishes to wash, nothing beats a mess-free foil-pack meal. Luckily for all of us, Julia Rutland’s book FOIL PACK DINNERS offers us recipes for 100 of them! For a taste of what you’ll find in the book (which includes tips for cooking in foil), check out this tasty recipe for Thai Chicken Burgers.
Ground chicken is mild-flavored and very lean, making it a good choice for using as a base for this unique burger.
Oven temperature: 375 ̊F
Grill: Medium Heat
Foil: 4 sheets nonstick foil or foil lightly coated with cooking spray
Size: 12″ x 15″
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic paste or sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 8 bibb or green lettuce leaves
- Sweetened chili sauce (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 375 ̊F or your grill to medium heat.
2) Combine the soy sauce, lime zest, lime juice, brown sugar, chili-garlic paste, and sesame oil, if using, in a large bowl, stirring until well blended. Add the ground chicken, bell pepper, carrots, green onions, cilantro, and mint, mixing well.
3) Form the chicken mixture into four patties. Place one patty in the center of each piece of foil.
4) Fold the foil over the burger and crimp the edges for flat packages. Cook for 10 minutes; turn over and cook for an additional 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
5) Remove from the foil and serve the patties in lettuce leaves. Drizzle with chili sauce, if desired.
Want more? Discover 100 recipes and tips for cooking in foil by picking up a copy of FOIL PACK DINNERS by Julia Rutland.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like: Summer’s 7 Best Foods to Fight Inflammation
Excerpted from Foil Pack Dinners by Julia Rutland. Copyright © 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Photography produced by Blueline Creative Group LLC.