Aside from being wonderful to say aloud, the “Vanilla Bean Buttercream” recipe is as basic as frosting gets. It will last up to a month in the freezer, perfect for a whole holiday season full of dessert dishes. Be sure to try it with my decadent Hidden Ornament Cupcakes recipe. From Sweet! Celebrations.
Makes 4 cups
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ vanilla bean (halved crosswise), split lengthwise
5 ½ cups (650g) powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
1. In a stand mixer with the whisk or paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed for at least 5 minutes, until the butter has lightened in color and is thoroughly whipped.
2. Using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape the vanilla seeds into the butter and beat to incorporate.
3. Add 1 cup of the sugar and begin mixing on low speed to combine, then beat on high speed for about 2 minutes.
4. Repeat this process 1 cup at a time until all the sugar has been added. Add milk a dash at a time if the mixture becomes too thick or dry. Scrape down the sides as needed and make sure no sugar is visible.
5. The frosting will last for 1 month in the freezer, 2 weeks in the fridge, and 3 days at room temperature.