This yummy meal is jam-packed with vitamins other nutritional benefits. Make this as an easy weekend dinner that the whole family will enjoy. From SUPERFOODS, this is the Soft-Boiled Egg and Brown Rice Nasi Goreng recipe.
Mushrooms provide B vitamins and essential minerals; leafy Asian greens provide vitamin C, beta-carotene, and potassium, and few calories. Ginger and chile are no slouches nutritionally either; both contain powerful antioxidants.
PREP + COOK TIME 45 MINUTES
¾ pound gai lan
¾ pound choy sum
½ cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons peanut oil
6 shallots, halved, sliced thinly
1½-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 fresh long red chiles, sliced thinly
¼ pound button mushrooms, quartered
3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
3½ ounces baby corn, halved lengthwise
3½ cups cooked brown rice
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons kecap manis
1. Cut stalks from gai lan and choy sum. Cut stalks into 4-inch lengths; cut leaves into 4-inch pieces. Keep stalks and leaves separated. Chop half the cilantro; reserve remaining leaves.
2. Cook eggs in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until soft-boiled; drain. When cool enough to handle, peel eggs.
3. Meanwhile, heat half the peanut oil in a wok over medium heat; stir-fry shallots for 8 minutes or until soft and light golden. Add ginger, garlic, and half the chile; stir-fry for 4 minutes or until softened. Transfer mixture to a plate.
4. Heat remaining peanut oil in wok over medium-high heat; stir-fry mushrooms and corn for 4 minutes or until just tender. Add Asian green stalks; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add Asian green leaves, rice, sesame oil, kecap manis,
shallot mixture, and chopped cilantro; stir-fry 3 minutes or until rice is hot and leaves are wilted. Season to taste.
5. Serve nasi goreng topped with reserved cilantro leaves, remaining chile, and eggs.
Nutritional count per serving: 18.2g total fat (3.8g saturated fat); 527 cal; 61g carbohydrate; 22.8g protein; 13g fiber
Tip: You will need to cook 1½ cups brown rice for the amount of cooked rice needed in this recipe.
Make sure you whip up something great for dessert.