The fall season brings autumn leaves, cool breezes, and most importantly–pumpkins! Pumpkins are a great ingredient for pies, crusts, and custards! Michelle Fagone, author of THE “I LOVE MY INSTANT POT” GLUTEN-FREE RECIPE BOOK, shares a great spiced pumpkin custard recipe!
With pumpkin mania all around and in every product on the shelves, you can make this gluten-free delight to satisfy your craving. To take this special pumpkin treat over the top, serve with fresh whipped cream and crushed gluten-free cinnamon cereal or graham crackers for the crust. Most graham crackers on the market today are unfortunately made with wheat flour; however, there are hundreds of delicious gluten-free graham cracker recipes on the Internet to play with!
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, heat cream 3 minutes to a low simmer. Whisk 1 teaspoon cream into egg mixture to temper it, then slowly whisk egg mixture into the saucepan with remaining cream. Add pumpkin and continually stir at a simmer 10 minutes until combined. Remove pan from heat and evenly distribute pumpkin mixture among four custard ramekins.
- Add water to the Instant Pot®. Insert steam rack. Place silicone steamer basket onto steam rack. Place ramekins in steamer basket. Lock lid.
- Press Manual button and adjust cook time to 6 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Quick-release any additional pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid.
- Transfer custards to a plate and refrigerate covered 2 hours until set.
- Serves 4
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin 2 cups water
For more great gluten-free recipes pick up a copy of THE “I LOVE MY INSTANT POT” GLUTEN-FREE RECIPE BOOK by Michelle Fagone!
More from Tips on Life & Love: Spiced Red Lentil Dhal with Fried Egg & Pumpkin Naan Recipe
Excerpted from THE “I LOVE MY INSTANT POT” GLUTEN-FREE RECIPE BOOK by Michelle Fagone. Copyright © 2018 by the author. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.