Kale is jam packed with nutrients and makes for the perfect lunch or dinner. This Kale Caesar Salad Recipe from ALMOST VEGETARIAN combines veggies and lean meat for a filling salad that you won’t feel guilty about.
Dark leafy greens such as kale provide a rich supply of A and C vitamins, fiber, and phytonutrients that may be useful to prevent heart disease and cancer.
PREP + COOK TIME 45 MINUTES (+ COOLING)
4 cups water
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ medium lemon, sliced thinly
¾ pound chicken breast fillets
12 thin slices sourdough baguette
¾ cup finely grated parmesan
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 slices bacon
1 teaspoon white vinegar
½ pound baby kale leaves
Green Goddess Dressing
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 drained anchovy fillet, chopped coarsely
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1. Bring the water, thyme sprigs, garlic, and lemon to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add chicken, return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken; cool 10 minutes, then shred coarsely. Reserve poaching liquid for another use (see tips).
2. Meanwhile, make Green Goddess Dressing.
3. Preheat broiler. Toast bread on one side, then turn and sprinkle with half the parmesan; grill croutons until parmesan melts and is browned lightly.
4. Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat, cook bacon until golden and crisp; drain on paper towels.
5. Half fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar to water. Break one 1 egg into a cup then slide into pan; repeat with remaining eggs. When eggs are in pan, return to a boil. Cover pan, turn off heat; let stand 3 minutes or until a light film of egg white sets over the yolks.
6. Meanwhile, place kale and one-quarter of the dressing in a large bowl; toss to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
7. Add croutons, bacon, remaining parmesan and dressing; toss to combine. Serve salad topped with poached egg.
Green goddess dressing: Process ingredients until smooth and combined; season to taste. (Makes ¾ cup)
Tips: The poaching liquid in step 1 can be used as a light chicken stock for any other recipe in this chapter. Allow to cool; refrigerate and use within 2 days, or freeze for up to 1 month. Don’t forget—you can also save the parmesan rind for another use.
Have you heard about clean meats? Learn more here.