Want to lose weight, but still enjoy your favorite carbs, comfort foods, and drinks? Juan Rivera, author of THE MOJITO DIET, shares his new meal plan that allows you to indulge yourself in at least two mojitos a week, while also maintaining your health. Check out this deliciously healthy overstuffed avocados recipe.
Rich, buttery avocados hold a bright, crisp blend of healthy vegetables. The cheese adds a welcome savory note and the seeds add crunch.
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice ½ cup salsa, fresh or from a jar
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium avocados, pitted and peeled ¼ cup crumbled Queso Fresco cheese
- ¼ cup toasted hulled pumpkin seeds
- Combine the corn, hearts of palm, bell pepper, cilantro, oil, lime juice, and salsa in a medium bowl. Gently stir to combine.
- Spread 2 cups romaine on each of 4 plates. Nestle an avocado half, pitted-side up, on each bed of greens. Fill each avocado half with an even portion of corn mixture. Top each with 1 tablespoon Queso Fresco and pumpkin seeds.
PER SERVING (serves 4): Protein: 0 (amount is so small that we’ll call it 0), Vegetables: 3, Nuts/seeds: ½, Healthy fats: 2
Find more healthy recipes in THE MOJITO DIET by Dr. Juan Rivera!
For more on Tips on Life & Love: Deliciously Ella Recipe: Cucumber Avocado Rolls
Excerpted from The Mojito Diet by Dr. Juan Rivera. Copyright © 2018 by author. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash.