Whether you participate in Meatless Monday or are vegetarian or vegan, it is always exciting a find a healthier twist to some classic recipes. This “Chicken” and Dumpling recipe from SLOW COOKERS FAVORITES VEGETARIAN can be left in the slow cooker all day and is guaranteed to be a hit.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 ⁄2 medium white onion, diced
1 cup frozen peas 1 pound seitan, cubed
2 (101 ⁄2-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
2 teaspoons salt
1 ⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
1 ⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (10-ounce) package vegan biscuit dough
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the vegetable oil, carrots, celery, and onion, and cook for 3–4 minutes until soft.
2. Transfer the cooked mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the frozen peas, seitan, soup, salt, pepper, and thyme.
3. Cover and cook over low heat for 6 hours.
4. Toward the end of the cooking time, tear each of the biscuits into fourths.
5. Remove the lid and drop in the biscuit dough piece by piece. Cover and cook for an additional 45 seconds.