Need to start your New Year’s diet the right way? Kevin Curry, author of FIT MEN COOK, shares his Cashew Chicken and Asparagus Recipe!
I love adding cashews to my diet because they help curb my sweet cravings. They are slightly sweeter than some of the other raw nuts, so I’ll often eat them as a snack when I crave something sweet. In homemade stir-fry recipes the sodium content tends to be slightly elevated. This isn’t necessarily a particularly bad thing, especially if you’re an active individual. But be mindful, when designing your meal plan or tracking your daily food intake, that you do not have several higher-sodium meals in one day (unless of course you want to for training-related reasons).
For the sauce:
- 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional) 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 bundle thick asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 heaping cups) or broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- ²⁄³ cup canned water chestnuts, drained (larger pieces cut in half)
- ¾ cup raw cashews
Garnish: finely sliced green onions
- Steps: Mix together the sauce ingredients in a bowl, then set If using previously frozen chicken breast, pat the chunks dry with a paper towel.
- Set a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes to flavor the oil.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, then add the chicken breast chunks to the Cook until the meat browns, 5 to 9 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and asparagus and cook until the asparagus just begins to soften but is still crispy, about 3 minut
- Reduce the heat to medium, then pour in the Stir everything together in the skillet and bring the sauce to a light simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix the arrowroot powder with 2 tablespoons of water, then pour it into the skillet and stir Mix everything together and allow the sauce to thicken for about 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Finally, fold in the water chestnuts and cashews, ensuring that all the ingredients are coated with the sauce. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately!Makes 6 servings | PREP: 5 minutes | COOK: 20 minutes Serving size: 1⁄6 of recipe | Calories: 301 | Protein: 29 g | Carbohydrates: 16 g | Fat: 14 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 6 g | Sodium 582 mg
For more healthy recipes check out FIT MEN COOK by Kevin Curry!
Tips on Life & Love: Keto Snacking: Butter Hot Chocolate Recipe
Excerpted from Fit Men Cook by Kevin Curry. Copyright © 2018 by the author. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.