I’ll take tea anytime. It goes without saying that these cookies are meant to be enjoyed with a good leisurely cuppa tea in the company of friends and family. From Carla’s Comfort Foods.
Lemon’s my go-to for savory and sweet. Instead of making cookies with the usual zest and juice, I thought it’d be fun to play with lemon in other forms, namely tea and extract. The key for these buttery rounds is to purchase all-natural ingredients that have true lemon flavors.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 4 teaspoons high-quality loose-leaf herbal lemon tea, finely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, loose-leaf tea, and salt until well mixed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until creamy but still gritty, about 2 minutes. Beat in the lemon and vanilla extracts. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture just until the dough sticks together.
- Form the dough into 2 disks, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough between sheets of lightly floured parchment paper until 1/ 4 inch thick. Use a lightly floured 2-inch round cookie cutter, or another cookie cutter of your choice, to cut out as many rounds as possible. Gather and reroll the scraps to cut more rounds. Transfer to the baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart. If the dough has softened, refrigerate again until firm.
- Bake the rounds until pale golden (not brown), about 15 minutes. Cool on the pans on wire racks for 2 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to the wire racks and let cool completely.
Find more recipes in Carla’s Comfort Foods by Carla Hall!
Tips on Life & Love: Uplifting Spiced Saffron Tea
Excerpted from Carla’s Comfort Foods by Carla Hall. Copyright © 2014 by the author. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.