Perfect for a beach or backyard barbecue, shrimp and scallops are grilled between pieces of pineapple, bacon, and peppers. From America’s Most Wanted Recipes At the Grill.
Brushed with a double-duty basting and dipping sauce, the skewers can be assembled ahead of time and ready to slip on the grill.
¾ cup sweet and tangy barbecue sauce
2 cups medium salsa
¼ cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3 slices smoked bacon
6 large sea scallops
16 chunks pineapple, fresh or canned
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1-inch pieces
6 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 long metal or bamboo skewers (if bamboo, soak in water before use)
1. Do ahead: Whisk together the ingredients for the Basting/Dipping Sauce and set aside.
2. Cut the bacon strips in half through the middle crosswise and wrap each half around a scallop. Secure it with a toothpick.
3. Start the skewers with a piece of pineapple, then bell pepper, then shrimp, then bacon-wrapped scallop. Repeat twice more and end with pineapple.
4. Light a charcoal barbecue or heat a gas grill to medium. Clean the grate and coat it with vegetable oil.
5. Lightly baste the skewers with the basting sauce and grill, turning once or twice, until the scallops and shrimp are just cooked through. Do not overcook the shrimp or scallops. You can pull them off the grill a few moments before they are cooked through and let the heat from the skewers finish cooking them.
6. Serve hot with the sauce in a ramekin on the side.
Alternate the skewer ingredients if you choose; mushrooms, red onion, and zucchini are excellent choices.