De-stress in a chair at work, at home, or even on an airplane with this technique from Making Room for Mr. Right, by Robin Mastro and Michael Mastro, which examines how yoga can help you to love and feel loved.
Yoga brings substantial benefits to the mind, body, and spirit. There are many books, videos, DVDs, and classes dedicated to the practice of yoga, and we encourage you to explore this magnificent tool and begin a practice of your own.
Yoga lubricates the joints, tendons, and ligaments of the body; tones the inner organs; and creates feelings of strength, confidence, and lightness. It can be done at any age, so you’re never too young or too old to begin. Even beginners enjoy the benefits of yoga simply by doing a series of exercises that move the spine in six directions — side to side, front to back, and twisting the torso from left to right in rhythm with the breath. These simple movements stimulate the energy that runs up and down the spine, and circulates that energy throughout the organs of the body.
Below is a simple exercise for relieving neck and shoulder tension that you can do in a chair at work, at home, even on an airplane. You can try it right now.
Yoga for the Neck and Shoulders
- Sit with your spine erect and shoulders relaxed.
- Take a deep breath in through the nose, and as you breathe out (through the mouth), drop your chin to your chest.
- Continue with long, slow, deep breaths in and out through the nose as you begin to rotate your head to the right very slowly.
- As you move your head, feel the contraction on one side of your neck and the stretch on the other.
- When you come across an area that feels stiff, pause and breathe into the sensation in long, slow, deep breaths, in and out through the nose. Imagine the tension melting like warm butter.
- Continue your neck rotation, moving your head to the right shoulder, then to the back, and finally to the left shoulder, very easily, in a slowly moving circle.
- When you get to the front, with your chin dropped to your chest, reverse the direction and rotate slowly from left to right.
- Once you have completed a full rotation in each direction, bring your head up to center and take a deep breath in through the nose, exhaling through the mouth, and relax. Close your eyes and feel the energy moving in the area of the neck.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Robin Mastro is an environmental designer and artist dedicated to bringing balance and harmony into people’s lives through ancient systems of wisdom. Michael Mastro is a leading expert on the art and science of Vastu Shastra. An award-winning architect and developer, he has designed spiritual centers, residencies, and office buildings according to Vastu tenets for leading corporations including World Bank, NASA, Amazon, Cingular, Microsoft, Boeing, Intel, and Oracle. For more than 15 years, the Mastros have taught yoga, meditation, and spiritual awareness techniques for the Art of Living Foundation. They are also the authors of Making Room for Mr. Right: How to Attract the Love of Your Life (Copyright © 2009 by Robin Mastro and Michael Mastro).
MORE ARTICLES BY THE AUTHORS
- Read Chapter 1 from Making Room for Mr. Right: How to Attract the Love of Your Life
- See the book’s Table of Contents
- Watch a video with the authors