By Chrystle Fiedler
Author of Death Drops: A Natural Remedies Mystery
Your skin reflects the health of your body. It will show if you are allergic to foods or cosmetics, a new lotion, bubble bath, or laundry detergent. Stress can show up on your skin, too. Hives are one of the most common skin conditions and the most uncomfortable. Start by changing what you suspect is the cause.
These natural remedies can help soothe the skin you’re in:
1) Drink a detoxifying tea that contains calendula, chamomile, dandelion leaf and root, nettles, plantain, and red clover. This will help your body’s normal channels of elimination such as the kidneys, liver and lymph glands. Drink two to three cups daily. You’ll find detoxifying herbal blends in your local health food store.
2) Take a bath. Soak in the bathtub with a couple of handfuls of oatmeal tied into a washcloth. Afterwards, pat your face and back with the mucilage that comes out of the cloth on the skin. You can also bathe with a pound of alkalizing baking soda.
3) Apply cooled chamomile tea or cooling aloe vera with clean fingers or a soft cloth. It acts as an anti-inflammatory to the affected area.
4) Skip spicy foods like ginger and cayenne because they bring toxins to the surface by increasing circulation. Eat a more bland diet that includes celery, cucumbers, kale, and other green leafy veggies. It will make your body more alkaline than acidic. The body functions better this way.
5) Get tested for common allergies such as citrus fruit, strawberries, mangoes, tomatoes, shellfish, nuts, and chocolate.