In the Perfect Health Diet, husband and wife scientists Paul Jaminet, Ph.D. and Shou-Ching Jaminet, Ph.D. recommend you make the following superfoods a part of your daily regimen. They’ll help you lose weight, optimize nutrition, detoxify your diet, and support healthy immune function.
There’s every reason to believe that optimizing micronutrition will deliver substantial health and mortality benefits. The leading causes of death in the United States are cancer and cardiovascular disease; and clinical trials and prospective studies have shown that both diseases become far more frequent when nutrients are under- or overprovided.
Some nutrients are best obtained from foods: especially fat-associated nutrients such as vitamin A, choline, folate, and vitamin E; electrolytes such as potassium and calcium; and minerals such as copper and selenium.
We consider the foods that provide these nutrients so crucial to health that they should be eaten habitually and routinely, as you would take a supplement. The following “supplemental foods” should be eaten daily:
- 3 egg yolks (for choline, folate, vitamin A) —5 egg yolks in pregnant women and women planning to conceive
- A bowl of bone and joint broth soup (for calcium, phosphorus, and collagen)
- Vegetables such as tomato, avocado, potato, sweet potato, banana, green leafy vegetables, and seaweeds such as dulse (for potassium)
- Dark chocolate (>70 percent cocoa) (for magnesium and zinc)
The following supplemental foods should be eaten weekly:
- 1/4 pound of beef or lamb liver (copper, vitamin A, folate, choline)
- Fish, shellfish, eggs, and kidneys (for selenium)
- 1 tablespoon red palm oil (vitamin E)
Get more information about the Perfect Health Diet.
Get fit. Find nutrition facts. Live a healthy lifestyle. Sign up for our newsletter!