Imagine. One ingredient halts hunger, reduces calorie intake from the food you eat, helps stabilize your blood glucose (and so reduces overeating), and allows you to eat plenty of food that is low in calories and high in nutrient-rich disease fighters. What is it? Brenda Watson, C.N.C., the author of The Fiber35 Diet, has the answer.
Reducing your calories — i.e., going on a restricted-calorie diet — is the key to losing weight; there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Unless you reduce your intake below the number of calories that you need each day to maintain your current weight, weight loss is simply not possible (without a surgical procedure such as stomach stapling or liposuction). So the key to a successful weight loss program is to reduce your calories while you are trying to lose weight, and to eat no more than the calories that you need to maintain your weight once you have achieved your ideal weight. That’s where fiber comes into play, because it helps you to reduce calories in four compelling ways:
- Fiber curbs your appetite, helping you to reduce intake.
- Fiber actually helps reduce absorption of calories from the food you eat.
- Fiber-rich foods are low-energy-density foods. In other words, you get to eat a lot of food without eating a lot of calories.
- Fiber slows down your body’s conversion of carbohydrate to sugar, thus supporting blood glucose stability to help you lose weight.
That’s quite a combination! Now you understand why I consider fiber a miracle ingredient when it comes to losing weight. Imagine. One ingredient halts hunger, reduces calorie intake from the food you eat, helps stabilize your blood glucose (and so reduces overeating), and allows you to eat plenty of food that is low in calories and high in nutrient-rich disease fighters.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Brenda Watson, C.N.C., is the bestselling author of The Fiber35 Diet: Nature’s Weight Loss Secret (Copyright © 2007 by Brenda Watson) and The Detox Strategy: Vibrant Health in 5 Easy Steps and is one of the foremost dietary authorities in America today. She has gained national recognition with her televised PBS special, Brenda Watson’s H.O.P.E. Formula: The Ultimate Health Secret. Ms. Watson has two grown children and currently lives in Florida with her husband, Stan, and their dogs.
MORE ARTICLES BY THE AUTHOR
- 3 Ways Aerobic Exercise Boosts Your Metabolism and Helps You Lose Weight
- Body Detox 101: How Herbal Cleansing Works
- If You Sleep More, Will You Weigh Less?
- Need a Detox? Start With Your Air and Water
- Read the Introduction to The Fiber35 Diet
- See the book’s Table of Contents
- Watch the video: Brenda Watson explains the key to healthy eating