To ensure success on my 30-day program follow these six specific guidelines. From Green Smoothies for Life.
1. Drink two green smoothies and eat one healthy meal every day. Each day, drink one green smoothie for breakfast, one green smoothie for lunch, and eat one healthy meal for dinner. (Note: You can vary this, i.e., drink one for lunch and one for dinner, if you prefer, as long as you drink two per day.) This book provides the green smoothie recipes as well as a healthy meal menu for all 30 days. When you make the green smoothie recipe in the morning, divide it into half, and have half for breakfast and half for lunch. Each green smoothie serving should contain 10 to 14 ounces of liquid. If you take the smoothie out of the house with you to drink it later, keep it refrigerated as much as possible.
2. Eat snacks to feel full. The good news for those who already use the 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse is that I’ve expanded the list of snacks. You may snack on apples, popcorn (lightly salted), protein bars, hummus, celery, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, and other crunchy veggies throughout the day. Other high-protein snacks include unsweetened peanut butter, hard-boiled eggs, and raw or unsalted nuts and seeds (only a handful). Please note that unsweetened peanut butter will have less than 3 grams of sugar.
3. Enjoy a variety of drinks. Drink at least eight glasses of water (64 ounces) per day, and drink detox or herbal teas as desired. Ideally, you want to drink the detox tea first thing every morning as it assists in the detox process by cleansing the organs that aid in detoxing—kidneys, liver, and skin. You can also enjoy one cup of coffee or green tea per day. Many experts believe that coffee actually boosts your metabolism so one cup of coffee per day is fine. However, when you need several cups of coffee throughout the day to function, your body is addicted to it and you must break that addiction.
4. Avoid unhealthy foods. Do not eat any white sugar, red meat, milk (cow’s milk), liquor, beer, sodas/diet sodas, processed foods, fried foods, refined carbs (such as white bread, pastas, and donuts).
5. Get moving. It is important to move at least 3 to 5 days per week. You can enjoy any type of physical activity that meets your fitness level, even if it’s just walking for 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Have one optional splurge per week. You can enjoy a special treat/dessert once a week while on this meal plan. See the book’s Chapter 5: Special Treats to find healthy, clean dessert options. To maximize weight loss, it’s important to keep desserts to a minimum and not overindulge.