It’s the most perfect fat a girl can possibly consume. Here’s why. From Cavewomen Don’t Get Fat: The Paleo Chic Diet for Rapid Results.
Once vilified, coconut oil is a stable and nutritious fat.
• It’s surprisingly rich in short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids, which make it a natural fat-loss nutrient for the body. It reduces the stress from oxidative damage to cells, which makes it the perfect preworkout food.
• Through its antiviral properties, coconut oil boosts immune function and lowers the body’s histamine, or inflammatory trigger, response. It bypasses the gut and goes right to the liver for absorption. Because the body uses it immediately, the oil can even be given to people on tube feedings. Coconut oil also slows down the aging of the skin from the inside out. Both eating and using it as a moisturizer will do your body good!
• In the early 1940s, farmers used inexpensive coconut oil for fattening their animals, but they found that it made the livestock lean, active, and hungry fat-burning machines instead. By the late 1940s, it was discovered that feeding animals soybeans and corn made them fatter, and they ate less food. So began one of the great causes of inflammation and obesity in this country.
• Eating coconut oil regularly and cutting down on starchy foods can naturally lower your cholesterol. Doing so lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion into pregnenolone—the grand precursor hormone from which almost all of the other steroid hormones are made—including DHEA, progesterone, testosterone, estrogen, and cortisol. Coconut-eating cultures have consistently lower cholesterol numbers than Americans do.
• You can purchase organic coconut oil in supermarkets, health food stores, and chains such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods Market. It will become solid at cooler temperatures and either softer or completely liquid at warmer temperatures. You can use it for sautéing, baking, or in your postworkout smoothie. Store it in a cool, dark place for optimal freshness; it will easily keep for up to one year—no refrigeration required.