These 17 activities—including sleeping!—burn more calories than you’d think. From The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor’s Plan Designed for Rapid Results, by Dr. Mike Moreno.
1. Run errands: Walking briskly while lugging dry cleaning or groceries can burn about 120 calories in 30 minutes.
2. Fidget frequently: Research has shown that fidgeting, such as tapping toes and fussing with hands, blasts off up to 800 extra calories per day.
3. Get on top: Skip the passive missionary position and climb on top. This position decimates 4.5 calories per minute.
4. Take the stairs: Every minute you climb kills seven calories.
5. Take two: Taking the stairs two at a time burns 55 percent more calories than single stepping.
6. Rock out: Studies show that exercisers who tune in to music while exercising work out 25 percent
7. Give your lover a massage: An hour-long massage burns 230 calories.
9. Have sex: An hour of passionate playtime kills 270 calories.
10. Pace periodically: You could burn about 100 extra calories during an eight-hour day if you walk around your office, pace while on your cell phone or otherwise move around.
11. Kiss: Every minute you kiss someone you burn 1 calorie.
12. Don’t order out: Cook at home. Spending an hour cooking burns about 150 calories. You can burn half of what you eat for dinner merely by cooking it yourself!
12. Sleep: You burn up to 200 calories while sleeping for around 7 hours.
13. Kick up your heels: Dancing burns 200 or more calories an hour, depending on the dance.
14. Do the hula hoop: This isn’t just for kids anymore. In just 10 minutes you can burn 44 calories. Plus, you tone your tummy while doing it.
15. Jump rope: Fifteen minutes of jumping rope burns 170 calories.
16. Play with your kids: A game of hopscotch can burn 222 calories over the course of 30 minutes.
17. Coach your kids’ sports team: Coaching burns between 281 and 372 calories an hour.
Read Chapter 1 of The 17 Day Diet
Browse more books about Health and Fitness