Gooey melted cheese inside a crunchy crust—what could be more irresistible? From The New Atkins Made Easy.
Here’s another low-carb “renovation” of a typically high-carb snack. Instead of breading, the sticks are coated in ground flaxseed. Rao’s Sensitive Formula Marinara Sauce is one acceptable sugar-free product.
Makes: 6 (2-stick) servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
¼ cup ground flaxseed
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella
1 cup riced cauliflower
1 large egg
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1 tablespoon canola or high-oleic safflower oil
6 tablespoons no‑sugar-added marinara sauce
1. Place the flaxseed, Parmesan, parsley, garlic powder, and baking powder on a sheet of wax paper. Mix with your fingertips or a spoon.
2. Place the mozzarella and riced cauliflower in a large bowl and mix well. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of the mixture and, using your fingers, form it into a 4-inch long stick. Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining cauliflower-cheese mixture. You should wind up with 12 sticks.
3. Place the egg in a shallow bowl and whisk.
4. Dip each stick in the egg mixture and then roll in the flaxseed-Parmesan mixture. Repeat, placing each on a freezer-safe plate. Cover with aluminum foil and freeze for 30 minutes (or more) to firm before frying.
5. When ready to serve, coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over high heat. Add the oil. Add the sticks and cook for a total of 4–5 minutes, turning once or twice and coating with another layer of the cooking spray. Serve immediately with hot marinara sauce.