This cocoa is oh-so sophisticated, thanks to three varieties of chocolate and one unexpected ingredient (coriander). Treat yourself to cup with this copycat recipe from America’s Most Wanted Recipes Just Desserts by Ron Douglas.
This homemade hot chocolate will make you forget anything you’ve ever had from a packet. it uses both milk chocolate and dark chocolate plus cocoa powder and is lightly scented with toasted coriander.
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1/2 vanilla bean, split
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
1. Combine the milk and heavy cream in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
2. Put the cinnamon stick half and the crushed coriander seeds in a small skillet and toast until fragrant.
3. With the tip of a small knife, scrape out the seeds from the vanilla bean and add them to the milk along with the toasted coriander and cinnamon.
4. Stir in the cocoa powder and whisk until well blended.
5. Put the milk chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips in a mug and pour the hot milk mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into the mug. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted. Strain one more time for an extra-smooth drink.
This chocolate drink can also be served cold or at room temperature. Make a large batch and keep it refrigerated in a tightly covered container and gently heat however many portions you would like.
Get relationship tips. Find help with your love life. Have a happy marriage. Sign up for our newsletter!