For all the trauma and heartbreak divorced ladies have been through, they’ve won hard-fought dating advantages. From Become Your Own Matchmaker by Patti Stanger, star of The Millionaire Matchmaker
Divorced? Of course!
Some of you mistakenly feel that because your marriage(s) ended, you’re at a disadvantage. Ladies, nothing could be further from the truth. To be honest, and you know I’m never anything but, divorced girls have a huge advantage. Think about all your invaluable experience! You’re not some starry-eyed twenty-something who runs home crying to mommy the first time your husband criticizes you. You know what it takes to make a relationship work, and what will make it crash and burn. You know how to love and how not to love.
Men are more likely to look at a never-been-married woman over thirty-five and ask, “What’s wrong with her?” than they are to say the same thing about a similarly aged woman who is divorced. At least you tried — at least someone picked you. You get big brownie points for this. It sounds harsh to those of us who have never been married, but it’s true and the truth hurts me as much as anyone else, because, as you know, I’ve never been married. I know what men say about me.
Divorced ladies, for all the trauma and heartbreak you’ve been through, consider the hard-fought advantages you’ve won:
- You’re better able to weed out the losers. You’ve been in the program before, you know all the signs, both good and bad, so you’re better able to assess if he’ll make a good husband.
- You can discern his interest level, and your own, much quicker. You don’t waste time kidding yourself that this might work if you just give it one more shot. Experience has made you a realist.
- You’re not desperate. You know that, yes, you can recover from a heartbreak, and, no, he’s not the last man on earth. You also know that it’s better to be alone and happy than in a crappy relationship.
- Your stock is higher because you’ve been picked. Men register this in their minds, whether consciously or subconsciously. And if your ex-husband was someone prominent in your community, your stock goes up even higher.
- You have more realistic expectations. Men love this, because they don’t feel the pressure to be perfect. They know that you’ve seen a man in gross old underwear before and accepted him, warts and all.
These are among the reasons divorced women tend to get married again quicker than a woman of the same age who has never been married. The never-been-married woman deliberates for freaking ever!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Patti Stanger is the author of Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate (Copyright © 2009 by Patti Stanger) and the star and executive producer of her own television show, The Millionaire Matchmaker, on Bravo. Her wildly successful matchmaking efforts have been featured on E!, MTV, Dateline, Dr. Phil, Ellen, Tyra, NBC News, The Big Idea with Donnie Deutsch and numerous other television shows, as well as in Marie Claire, Elle, Glamour, the New York Times, Forbes, The National Enquirer, the Washington Post and many more.
MORE ARTICLES BY THE AUTHOR
- Read Chapter 1 of Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate
- Watch the video: More secrets about dating from Patti Stanger
- Learn more about the author
Sign up to receive the latest tips on Dating Advice: